The 40km (approx 28 miles) walk can be conveniently split into
two, somewhat unequal, sections - North and South of Crosby
with regular bus services on the Douglas-Peel central valley
Although the whole walk can be completed by a fit walker in a day; the section from Castletown to Crosby is the easiest and makes a pleasant afternoon walk for anybody.
It is also possible to break the northern section near the Bungalow and catch the mountain railway back to Laxey.
This was the first long distance path on the Island - established to coincide with Millennium Year (1979). The path mostly follows the route of the Royal Way mentioned in the Chronicle of Man and the Isles.
Commencing in Ramsey, the path starts about 1 mile along the Kirk Michael road with a stiff climb up Sky Hill (the site of the battle in 1079, when the Manx were defeated by Godred Croven).
From there until West Baldwin is mostly across open moorland with some wonderful views, and along the way is the interesting, and apparently isolated, church of St Luke's.
Continuing down to Crosby, Keeill Vreeshey (St Bridgets Keeill) is passed - and a diversion up the main Douglas-Peel road will take you to St Trinian's.
The path follows a metalled, fairly traffic free, road - passing on the left of Crosby Methodist Chapel before climbing the hill up towards Marown Old Church. The Royal Way lies about 1/4 mile east of the road.
The road continues to St Mark's, built by Bishop Hildesley, and nearby is the old church school and houses. A mile on and the path joins the main Castletown-Foxdale Road (where there is considerable traffic).
Soon it diverges to follow the Silverburn river, past the Monks' Bridge and Rushen Abbey, before finishing at Castletown.
Author: Frances Coakley, Manx Notebook