Every year Manx Wildlife Trust (MWT) creates a travelling display packed with fun facts about wildlife. This year, it is all about our Island’s seals! LJ Partnership, one of MWT’s original Corporate Members and Manx Telecom, one of our newest Gold Members have come together to support the Manx Wildlife Trust Road Show by sponsoring the display boards that will travel around the Island.
Seals are fun characters to watch, and many have seen them bobbing in the sea or splashing about on the coast. However, you may not know that seals are also important marine predators that help keep our marine ecosystems healthy. MWT’s road show has been designed to help all ages learn more about these adorable and important species that live around our Island.
Here are a few facts to whet your appetite:
• Did you know that a seal can hold its breath under water for about 25 minutes?
• Seals can sleep at sea holding their noses out of the water to breathe
• They can live to be 45 years old.
Be sure to visit the Road Show as it travels to a town near you from March to December to learn about the different seal species around the Island, the best spots to view seals around the Island, why they are important and need protection, lots of cute seal pup photos and more.
Dates and Locations
• Friday, 17th-Friday, 31st March: Ramsey Town Hall, Ramsey
• Monday, 17th April – Friday, 28th April: Onchan Library, Onchan
• Monday, 1st May- Friday, 12th May: Isle of Man College, Douglas
• Monday, 15th May-Friday, 26th May: Henry Noble Bloom Library, Douglas
• Monday, 29th May-Friday, 9th June: Sea Terminal Building, Douglas
• Monday, 26th June-Friday, 7th July at Castletown Town Hall, Castletown
• Saturday, 22nd July to Sunday, 23rd July at the Festival of the Sea
• Monday, 24th July- Friday, 4th August: Atrium at Ronaldsway Airport, Castletown
• Monday, 7th August-Friday, 18th August: Curraghs Wildlife Park, Ballaugh
If you would like to book the road show, free of charge, at your venue, please contact Dawn Dickens for availability at firstname.lastname@example.org or (01624) 844432. Please note that there is a 2-week minimum for bookings and the display must be kept indoors.
For more details visit www.manxwt.org.uk/seal-appeal-road-show
Photo - Grey Seal. Courtesy of Eleanor Stone.